Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Summer Squash Noodles with Mushrooms & Broccolini in Marinara Sauce

Summer Squash Noodles with Mushrooms, Broccolini and Marinara

I finally broke out my spiralizer for the first time since I purchased it months ago. I have to say it is a handy tool, indeed. This dish took less than 15 minutes to prepare and lightly sauté. The great thing about this recipe is you can eat it raw too!

Ingredients:
2 summer squash
1 cup broccolini, chopped
1/2 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 cup prepared marinara sauce (I used Lucini's Tuscan Marinara)*
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped

Make the squash noodles using the spiralizer or use a vegetable peeler to create ribbons. Chop the broccolini and slice the mushrooms. In a wide pan, sauté the broccolini and the mushrooms in a dab of oil (to minimize fat, use water or veg broth instead) for 1 minute on medium heat. Add the squash noodles and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add the marinara and heat for another 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat. Finally, add the chopped basil. Serve immediately.


Cooking times will vary depending on preference. I like my vegetables crunchy and full of flavor.
Also, since I used a store-bought sauce, I didn't feel the need to season the dish any further with salt or pepper. I found this dish to be simple, light and satisfying! Enjoy!


*Substitute with a raw marinara recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment